A warm welcome to follow Vikes’ seminar of disinformation asking one of the crucial questions of our era: How to Tackle Fake News and Information Warfare in the EU? The aim of the seminar is to identify different forms of influence operations and their consequences for the freedom of expression, as well as to find measures for tackling the hybrid threats. Vikes is organizing the seminar in cooperation with The Finnish Union of Journalists, and it is part of our 15th anniversary festivities.
Opening words by journalist Johanna Vehkoo
Unbeatable battle? In search of answers for EU in the era of information warfare and hybrid threats
Teija Tiilikainen, Appointed Director of The European Center of Excellence for Countering Hybrid Threats
Panel discussion: Disinformation and disruption in elections – who influences whom?
- Naja Bentzen, Researcher, European Parliamentary Research Services
- Mikko Salo, Founder of Faktabaari (FactBar)
- Jussi Toivanen, Leading Communications Specialist, Prime Minister’s Office
The importance of media literacy and critical thinking: Can we learn to recognise the truth from lies?
Kaius Niemi, Editor-in-Chief of Helsingin Sanomat, Member of the Finnish National Commission for UNESCO
Journalism in crisis – how to reinforce trust in journalism during the post-truth era?
- Maria Pettersson, Editor-in-Chief of Journalisti Magazine
- Ricardo Gutiérrez, General Secretary of the European Federation of Journalists
- Olli Seuri, Journalist & Professor of Practice in Journalism in the Tampere University
Panel discussion: Endangered democracy? The rise of populism and the consequences for free press in Europe and in Africa
- Sergiy Tomilenko, President of The National Union of Journalists of Ukraine
- Sengiyumva Gasirigwa Mwita, National Director of MISA Tanzania
- Gulnara Akhundova, Head of Global Response Department, International Media Support IMS
- Hanne Aho, President of The Union of Journalist in Finland
Conclusion by Johanna Vehkoo & Auli Starck, the director of the Finnish Foundation for Media and Development (Vikes)